Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Farewell from Sarah

This past year at ALEC I had the opportunity to work as both a teacher and mentor to the youth in our program and in the community. Though I wasn’t there long the experience was amazing and worthwhile.




I was able to explore so many different topics and learn a lot of things for myself teaching the different lessons. We had so much fun creating exploding science experiments and learning about being a part of a community. The youth were always so much fun to be around and watching them learn and grow. Working with other organizations like Venture Outdoors, Strong Women Strong Girls, and the YMCA really helped to make this year amazing for the kids and for our whole program. It was always a blast getting to try new things myself along with the kids.


Along with my position at ALEC I was able to run the New Artists club at Philips Elementary School. Designing the curriculum I was able to explore what makes art fun and how it can be different for everyone. The kids were so creative and willing to jump into any activity with everything they had! 



Working for the Brashear Association was so much more than just teaching and tutoring. The best part was getting to know the kids and being able to support them in any way I could. Though some times it was a challenge it was always worth it at the end of the day. 





I feel like I have learned a lot over the past year and I am very grateful to have played a role in this organization. Thanks to everyone working at Brashear and all those who supported and worked with us to provide such great service to the community. It's been great!

-Sarah Long








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...